Thursday, January 5, 2017

I'm Glad I Did


I saw Zig Ziegler a few years back in Dallas before his death in 2012.  He was in a packed auditorium being interviewed by his daughter.  He had suffered a head injury and as a result had trouble focusing and staying on topic.  An audience member would ask a questions and he would begin an answer but soon trail off.  Within a few seconds his daughter would gently refocus him and he would continue until the answer was complete.  Even after the fall he was a powerful speaker and a man of wisdom and grace.

What most influenced me that day was those things that stood out as most important to him.  You could tell what those were because when his mind wandered, it shifted to one of two things; Jesus, who he accepted as his savior at the age of 42, and his wife of 62 years, Jean Ziegler.  It was an amazing thing to watch.  He would begin to answer a questions on relationships, life balance, success, and somewhere in the middle he would wander and begin talking about his savior or "That little redheaded girl that I love so much."  I had read his books but it was where his mind went when he got lost that left me so impressed.

I understand.  His mind simply wandered to where his heart was.  I am blessed to have the same savior and what I believe is most likely a wife very much like Jean.  My prayer is that when my ability to focus is gone the people I will think on will be the lover of my soul and the love of my life.

www.colonialhills.com/marriage

No comments:

Post a Comment