Saturday, August 20, 2016

I've Gotten Lazy







I have gotten lazy.  There, I've said it.  After 32 years of marriage I have realized that I no longer put the time and effort into my marriage that I once did.  It is not an uncommon situation in marriages but you would think I would know better.  After all, I am in the ministry of marriages.

Remember when you spent some time thinking about what you would wear, how your hair looked and whether or not you had taken a bath that week.  Remember when you spent hours on the phone with the last 30 minutes being a salvo of "you hang up first" followed by the response of "no, you hang up first" and so on.  Remember when you planned that trip and surprised your new wife, or went shopping at that special store in the mall that resulted in steamy response in the bedroom a few hours later?  But then something happened.  You got comfortable, then you got boring, and then you just got tired.

Don't get me wrong; we are not in a world that we can spend all our time focused on romance, candles, sex and chocolate.  There are kids to raise, ministries to attend to, families to check on and yards to mow.  Work demands more and more while our energy reserves are often in shorter supply.  But that is no excuse for a marriage that is in a slow fade.  Make your marriage a priority and dedicate yourself to a daily activity, a weekly activity, a monthly activity and an annual activity that will improve your marriage. 

Want some ideas, stay tuned for the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment